Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Grandest WebCam


I'm biased. Let's get that out of the way right now. The little bit of ground on which this webcam is anchored is one of my favorite places on this planet, and it has some very, very sweet memories for me. Among other things, it was where I was on July 20th, 1969, when people first touched the Moon.

The place is Lick Observatory of the University of California. The webcam sits atop Mt. Hamilton in the California Coastal Range, and points northwestward toward the south end of the San Francisco Bay and toward the bustling "Silicon Valley" metropolis of Santa Clara County, California.

The view is ever-changing, ever-stunning. To see what it is right now, click here.

Google Earth reports its view thusly:


Panning upward, but maintaining the same orientation:


Here are some other recent captures:

Moonset, sunrise, and Bay fog.

Sunset over San Francisco Bay (above) and evening fog fills the valley (below).

2 comments:

ronnie said...

Sherwood, these are magnificent!

So in the photos where we see the city lights (and I just saw them again in a live shot from the cam) is it San Jose we are seeing in the distance?

Brian Fies said...

I'm adding this webcam to my list of favorite links. As I mentioned to you privately, Sherwood, Lick means a lot to me as well. I made a few observing visits there while in college and feel like I'm in a sacred place when I'm inside those domes.

Ronnie, not to speak out of turn, but if I'm oriented correctly those city lights are indeed San Jose. The blank, roundish, lightless area at the right side of the image is the southern tip of San Francisco Bay.

Nice post! More, please.